Nikah (Wedding) Ceremony
Islam teaches us that marriage is an important part of our life and that a healthy marriage leads to a healthy community. The Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati (ICGC) has appointed many qualified and licensed individuals to perform the nikah (marriage contract and ceremony) in accordance with the Islamic tradition and register the marriage with the State of Ohio. If interested in a nikah ceremony at the ICGC facilities, contact our offices for detailed policies. The masjid and/or mirror hall may be reserved for the occasion at a nominal cost. (Note, for the nikah to be performed, the couple must first obtain a marriage license from the State of Ohio.)
Procedures for a Nikah at ICGC includes understanding and agreement to the following:
- Obtain a marriage license from the local Ohio county courthouse and submit it no later than seven days before the date of the Islamic marriage.
- Complete the Marriage Application Form and submit this no later than seven days before the date of the marriage.
- Complete a highly recommended premarital counseling session before the Nikah ceremony. This is intended for the couple to be able to better communicate and understand each other and set realistic expectations and boundaries in marriage. Recommended Pre-marital Questionaire for the bride and bridegroom to review between them.
- Provide two witnesses for the Islamic ceremony.
- Pay the following fee by check, cash or credit card no later than seven days before the date of the Nikah:
Nikah Service Fee:
- Non-Member Fee: $300
- Current ICGC Member Fee: $200
ICGC will not proceed with the Nikah until all paper work has been submitted and all logistical matters have been completed. As a service and to comply with the State requirements, the completed marriage documents of a Nikah performed by ICGC will be sent by us to be registered in the Ohio County where the marriage permit was obtained, to be recorded as a legal marriage. ICGC takes no responsibility for any changes or additional regulations that the county or state may issue from time to time.